Low Carb Air Fryer Bread: Made with Coconut Flour and Almond Flour
In the last few months, we’ve had to replace our dryer, then stovetop. This was just months after we replaced our washing machine. So, it was frustrating when we went to use our microwave, aaaaand…it wasn’t working.
Of course, this is when you (and your children) learn how often you need the microwave. About once a week, I usually make chaffles or microwave keto bread that I can have throughout the week.
This particular week, I realized that I didn’t have the microwave to use and didn’t have the patience to use my mini chaffle maker (it only makes one at a time). However, if there is nothing else that we learned in 2020, it is that we can all adapt and make things work (most of the time, anyway – haha).
One thing I noticed is that when I searched for a low-carb bread recipe for the air fryer, there really wasn’t anything out there. Ding ding! Time to experiment!
This is a really easy substitute for bread, which doesn’t have an eggy taste like many recipes I’ve tried. The olive oil gives it the ability to crisp up nicely when air-fried.
For the longer pieces of bread, I used a rectangular glass dish that was oven resistant. I really liked how they looked similar to garlic bread, which I imagined sitting beside a dish of pasta sauce. For the smaller pieces, like the ones in the photo below, I used a small round glass bowl, approximately 4″.
Don’t forget that it needs to be oven-proof. Make sure to spray the dish to avoid the bread from sticking. I have an air fryer that looks like a small oven, so if you have one that has a basket, be creative and share how you made it work!
- Don’t confuse baking powder with baking soda. The results will make you cringe because of the overwhelming taste of baking soda – believe me, I’ve accidentally done this and I learned from the mistake!
- 1/4 liquid egg whites are equal to one large egg. Feel free to use one egg instead of the egg whites.￼ Again, I was using what I had and it worked!
- When I made the rectangular bread, I cut them smaller into two squares to make a sandwich. For the round bread, I sliced them in half, as you might do with a hamburger roll, and then I put them back in the air fryer to let them brown up a little more.
- Add a 1/2 tsp of various seasonings to give your bread more flavor! Try Italian seasoning, dried basil, minced onion, garlic powder….or 1 Tbsp of grated parmesan cheese or shredded cheddar cheese!
- 1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Flour
- 1 Tbsp Almond Flour
- 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 Liquid Egg Whites
- Preheat the air fryer to 350°. Keep in mind that temperatures will vary depending on the air fryer, so test it with the first mixture.
- With a spoon or fork, mix all the ingredients in a bowl until there are no clumps (the coconut flour takes a little longer to stir in smoothly).
- Using a small oven-proof dish, spray with plenty of cooking spray.
- ￼Pour mixture into the dish and place into the air fryer. Air fry for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Using a spatula, flip the bread and air fry another 8-10 minutes or until it’s golden brown.
- Carefully remove the bread from the dish and top with a spread (like avocado), deli meat, sliced cheese, or anything you’d put on regular bread.
- Store in a plastic bag or sealed container and keep it in the refrigerator. When you’re ready to eat it, simply remove the bread from the bag/container and pop it back in the air fryer.