Preschool Activity- Help Sort and Categorize Your Cupboards
Guest piece from Gregory Heilers at Education.com
Help your children learn essential math and life skills such as sorting and categorizing with ease by using these hands-on tasks. One great way to teach sorting and categorizing is to let your child help you organize the can cupboard, her sock drawer, or her toy box.
What You Need:
- Can cupboard
What You Do:
- Explain to your child that she is going to be in charge of the family’s cans.
- Pull all of the cans out of the cupboard.
- Explain that she needs to classify or group the cans that have something in common.
- Instruct your child to organize the cans on the countertop. Ask her to explain how she is organizing the cans, identifying what parts are alike.
- Make necessary adjustments to her categorization.
- Have her put the cans back in the cupboard in categories.
Repeat these steps with your child’s sock drawer and toy box, and watch your child become neater!
More about Education.com:
Education.com is a savvy group of parents, teachers, and rock stars working towards a brighter future. Providing reading, writing, and math learning resources to more than 11 million members (with 10,000 new ones every day), more than 50% of whom are teachers, Education.com brings education to children in over 20 countries on six continents. For more information, go to www.education.com/resources/math/