Hosted by the Huron Valley Chamber of Commerce https://www.huronvcc.com/, the free event offers a chance for the community to rock out in Central Park and enjoy the sights, sounds and flavors Milford and the greater Oakland Country region has to offer. The day-long jam session, presented by Huron Valley State Bank http://www.hvsb.com/, the LaFontaine Automotive Group http://www.familydeal.com/, the Milford Downtown Development Authority http://www.meetmeinmilford.com/1/Oakland_County_Michigan/index.asp , Americus Coney and Grill https://www.facebook.com/Americus-Coney-Grill-111687578868791/, River’s Edge Brewing Company http://riversedgebrew.com/, Michigan Rock School https://michiganrockschool.com/ and Mosquito Joe https://mosquitojoe.com/ will showcase various musical genres including rock, blues, country and more.
This year’s lineup includes:
* 11 a.m. – The Keynote Sisters http://www.keynotesisters.com/index.html – blues, country and acoustic pop
* 12 p.m. – The Steve Taylor Three https://www.facebook.com/frinkstudios/ – folk, country and rock
* 1 p.m. – The Hacky Turtles http://thehackyturtles.com/home/ – alternative funk rock
* 2 p.m. – The Lovers http://www.theloversmusic.com/about/ – country, rock, soul and blues
* 3 p.m. – Laura Rain & the Caesars<http://www.laurarain.net/ – blues and soul
* 4 p.m. – Blueflowers https://www.facebook.com/theblueflowers/ – experimental, goth indie
* 5 p.m. – Adventures with Vultures https://www.facebook.com/AdventuresWithVultures/ – folk and blues
* 6 p.m. – Tart https://www.facebook.com/tartband/ – pop punk
* 7 p.m. – Jesse Ray & the Carolina Catfish https://jesserayandthecarolinacatfish.com/ – rock, blues and swing
* 8 p.m. – Kin Faux https://www.facebook.com/kinfaux/ – country western
* 9 p.m. – The Chris Canas Band https://www.chriscanas.net/ – blues and funk
* 10 p.m. – Nadir Omowale http://nadiromowale.com/ – urban and stone cold funk
New this year, musical performances will extend to businesses throughout downtown Milford including Proving Grounds Coffee and Ice Cream https://www.facebook.com/Proving-Grounds-Coffee-Ice-Cream-781888565301309/ and River’s Edge Brewing. “This is the first year we’re working with Milford bars and restaurants to host live music during the event,” said Jennifer Hill, events and communication manager, Huron Valley Chamber of Commerce. “We’re growing the event, so it spreads through Downtown, bringing business to everybody on Main Street.”
During the event, hungry attendees can enjoy eats such as pizza, sliders and ice cream in the festival’s food tent from local favorites Milford House https://themilfordhouse.com/ , Draught Horse and Proving Grounds.
Another Milford favorite, River’s Edge Brewing, has teamed up with Wixom-based Drafting Table and New Hudson-based Draught Horse to present a 21-and-up biergarten with a selection of brews. Entry for the tent is $3 and beer and wine tickets are available for $5. The trio of Oakland County brewers will create a collaborative brew, Summer Amp Ale, that will be sold at the festival’s biergarten and at all three breweries leading up to the Currents Music Festival.
Even the name Currents pays homage to the community, inspired by the LaFontaine Family Amphitheater’s location facing the historic Albert Kahn-designed Ford Power House and Pettibone Creek waterfall.
“This really is a community-focused event tying in good music with good people in a great location,” said Ann Barnette, executive director of the Milford Downtown Development Authority. “When there’s music flowing in the LaFontaine Family Amphitheater, it’s the start of summer in Downtown Milford and we invite the community to take in a concert in the Amp and explore the many shops, boutiques and restaurants downtown.”
With terraced seating for nearly 2,000 people, viewing space is first-come, first-served. Attendees are encouraged to bring their own lawn chairs and blankets. Outside alcohol and coolers are not permitted.
Central Park and the LaFontaine Family Amphitheater hosts many musical events each summer including the free weekly Summer Concert Series taking place each Thursday from June through August. A summer kick off concert hosted by the Huron Valley Chamber of Commerce called Groove is in the Park will take place Thursday, May 30 featuring B2wins and Currents band, Jesse Ray and the Carolina Catfish.
For more information, visit the Currents Music Festival Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/currentsmusicfestival and the Downtown Milford Facebook https://www.facebook.com/MilfordMichigan/?fref=ts page.
About the Milford Downtown Development Authority
Established by ordinance in 1982, the Milford Downtown Development Authority (DDA) is a commercial district revitalization organization dedicated to building an attractive environment in which people can shop, live and play. To learn more about downtown Milford, visit www.meetmeinmilford.com<http://www.meetmeinmilford.com/.
*Logo and Image courtesy of Milford Development Authority