How to Make Zucchini Fritters with Chipotle Sour Cream
I often have a lot of zucchini noodles (zoodles), so today I decided to use them for a breakfast dish: Zucchini Fritters with Chipotle Sour Cream. Normally, I might just throw them into scrambled eggs, but I decided to try something different – similar flavors, just a change to the appearance. I always have these ingredients on hand, so it was pretty easy to throw together.
I recently started using white pepper.
I have seen it pop up in other recipes, but I just used black pepper instead. I assumed it was so you wouldn’t see black specks in a light-colored dish; however, after trying it, I do enjoy the flavor. It’s milder than black pepper, and it adds a very subtle but pleasant flavor. Not seeing the black specks is the bonus! 🙌🏼
What I like about this zucchini fritter recipe
is that there is no need for flour. The parmesan cheese absorbs the liquid from the egg. You can certainly leave out the onion if you like; I enjoy onion in almost everything, and I just happened to have some leftover from making tacos yesterday.
That is also why I had chipotle peppers –
I like to add it into taco meat. It’s a very smoky and spicy pepper, which is perfect for mixing into sour cream. You can also mix it into mayonnaise – it’s excellent for dipping french fries or spreading onto a hamburger bun. Just be sure to taste your mixture because it can be a bit hot. 🥵
My 8-year-old daughter meandered into the kitchen as I was plating these fritters (what a coincidence! 😉), and she wanted to try them. She actually wouldn’t stop eating them (minus the chipotle sour cream) – I had to tell her to save some for me – haha! She requested them for breakfast tomorrow, which is great – another way to get the kids to eat more vegetables! 😊
Fritters – This recipe makes three, medium-sized fritters
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 Zucchini, Shredded or in Zoodle Form
- 1- 2 Tbsps Onion, Diced
- 1/4 Tsp White Pepper
- 1/4 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/8 Tsp Salt
- 1/8 – 1/4 Cup Grated Parmesan
- 4-8 Tbsps Shredded Parmesan
- Chipotle Peppers – Canned, Diced
- Sour Cream
- Green Onion or Chives
- Heat a pan on medium-high heat.
- In the meantime, beat the egg with a fork in a small bowl.
- Add in zucchini, onion, white pepper, garlic powder, salt, and grated parmesan. Mix together. The consistency should be relatively thick. If it’s too liquidy, add more zucchini and/or grated parmesan.
- Add butter (or extra virgin olive oil) and let it melt. You can also use a non-stick spray oil.
- Take small amounts of shredded parmesan and place it into three piles in the pan where the fritters will go.
- Drop mixture on top of the shredded parmesan, making three round shapes and spread them out evenly. Top with remaining shredded parmesan.
- Cook each side until they are browned and crispy on the edges. If the egg runs a little, just fold in the edges to re-create the round shape.
- For the topping, mix sour cream and chipotle peppers in a separate bowl. Chipotle peppers are very hot, so taste it to make sure your mixture isn’t too spicy.
- Place fritters on a plate and top with chipotle sour cream and green onion or chives.