Americans Are More Concerned About Their Social Media Accounts Getting Hacked Than Their House Being Broken Into – Survey
In today’s constantly evolving age of technology, consumers are very aware that scams exist but often have trouble understanding how to protect themselves from these online threats.
Unlike in our homes where we can physically lock all entryways to protect ourselves, in the cyber world, it’s harder to comprehend if you’re secure. Consequently, survey data provided by Lookout reveals that hacking-related threats are consumers’ ultimate worry.
Here is how 1,500 participants ranked their highest concerns:
- Someone Hacking My Bank Account – 30%
- Someone Hacking My Social Media – 15%
- Experiencing A Natural Disaster – 14%
- Getting In A Car Accident – 12%
- Someone Taking Out A Loan In My Name – 10%
- Someone Breaking Into My House – 10%
- Losing My Wallet – 9%
Why it may seem surprising that more consumers ranked having their bank account and social media account hacked a higher concern than having their home broken into, the reasoning behind these results is understandable, as it is more difficult to comprehend how you can reliably protect your online identity & financial information in today’s digital world.
But, in the same way, we have locks, safety alarms, and video doorbells installed in our homes to make us feel safer, we need to have that same level of security for our devices and online data.
To help consumers protect their social media and banking accounts –
as well as all of their online accounts – Lookout, the leader in delivering Integrated Security, Privacy, and Identity Theft Protection solutions, recommends consumers be on guard against risks and take steps to secure their accounts from compromise, including:
- Always use strong and unique passwords. If your online account password is ever leaked as part of a data breach, change your password immediately.
- Enable two-factor authentication (like Google Authenticator) rather than SMS validation to protect your accounts. Two-factor authentication helps protect your account even if your account credentials are compromised or your phone is targeted in a SIM swapping scam.
- Enable a security service – like Lookout Security & Identity Protection- that will monitor and alert you immediately if your personal and financial information is leaked on the dark web, and provide you with steps to protect your accounts from compromise and your identity from being stolen.
Lookout is a cybersecurity company offering a range of security solutions for both Consumer & Businesses customers. Our mission is to secure and empower our digital future in a privacy-focused world where sharing sensitive information is essential for work and play.
We enable consumers and employees to protect their data, and to securely stay connected without violating their privacy and trust. Lookout is trusted by millions of consumers, the largest enterprises and government agencies, and partners such as AT&T, Verizon, Vodafone, Microsoft, Google, and Apple.