Chicken and Dumplings Recipe
I don’t know about you, but with the weather turning to more fall like temperatures I am ready to kick off the football watching, boot wearing, autumn recipes. Chicken and Dumplings is one of my favorite seasonal recipes to make. My picky 4-year-old even ate it this year. This fall recipe can be paired with a great homemade banana or pumpkin bread to make it that much more enjoyable.
1 Whole Roasted Chicken
2 Tbs Vegetable Oil
7 oz Chopped Onions (1/2 large onion)
64 oz Chicken Broth
1 tsp Poultry Seasoning
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Pepper
14 oz Chopped Carrots (3 large carrots)
14 oz Chopped Celery (3 stalks celery)
1-16 oz can Buttermilk Biscuit Dough
1-10 oz can Chicken Gravy
1. In a small frying pan add 2 Tbs Vegetable Oil and heat over medium. When oil is hot add 7 oz of chopped onions and sauté until soft.
2. In a large pot add 64 oz of Chicken Broth, 1 tsp Poultry Seasoning, 1 tsp Salt, 1/2 tsp Pepper, 14 oz Chopped Carrots, 14 oz Chopped Celery, and cooked onions. Bring to a boil.
3. Remove skin from Whole Roasted Chicken and shred meat into large pieces.
4. Reduce large pot to a simmer for 10 minutes. Add chicken to large pot.
5. Continue to simmer while making dumplings.
6. Open can of Biscuit dough. On floured surface roll each biscuit to 1/4″ thick. Cut each biscuit into 4 pie pieces. Set aside.
7. Stir in can of chicken gravy. Stir in biscuit pieces a few at a time. Once all pieces are in cover the large pot with a lid and cook for 10 minutes.