Patient and Plastic Surgeon Give Voice to Important
Breast Reconstruction Options
More than 75 percent of women eligible for breast reconstruction are not told about all of their options.
Breast reconstruction is more than cosmetic. It’s an essential part of the breast cancer care process, helping women recover not just physically but emotionally and psychologically as well.
Join me in a recent interview with Dr. David Song, former president of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, and Carin Silkaitis, Chicago actor and director, who opted for reconstruction surgery, as they discuss:
· Carin’s personal journey through diagnosis, reconstruction and a return to a confident, healthy life in the performing arts.
· The positive effects that breast reconstruction has on the lives of survivors including: self-esteem, empowerment and psychological benefits.
· The wide options and legal rights that cancer patients have when making reconstructive decisions.
· Patient education regarding how reconstructed breasts look and feel.
· The importance of including a plastic surgeon in your cancer care team from the diagnosis stage, which results in significantly improved patient outcomes and quality of life.
Click here for the complete interview: https://youtu.be/Pezjprtb2ho
More information: http://www. breastreconusa.org/
About Dr. David Song, MD, MBA
David Song, MD, is MedStar Health’s Washington Regional Chief of Plastic Surgery and Academic Chair for the Department of Plastic Surgery at Georgetown University Medical Center. He is a past president of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons and a director for the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
More information: https://www. medstargeorgetown. org/doctor-profile/1043375884/ #q
About Carin Silkaitis
Carin Silkaitis is a breast reconstructive surgery patient and an actor from Chicago working in film, television and theater. She is the founding artistic director of Other Theater, a not-for-profit organization dedicated to helping “othered” populations and their allies.
More Info: http://www. carinsilkaitis.com/
Interview Source: American Society of Plastic Surgeons
Categories: Health & Fitness