How to Make Sriracha Turkey Meatballs
When we moved to our neighborhood six years ago, I met a great group of ladies who I got to know closely. One year, one of the gals invited five of us to her cottage, where we laughed, joked, cried, and learned about each other and our very different lives. It was a time of relaxation, friendship, and growth. It was therapeutic.
This year was our fourth year to spend the day and stay the night at our friend’s cottage, with so much to catch up on and share. A son accepted to a prestigious school, a daughter enjoying spring break and living the life we all once had, another daughter with a boyfriend, a mom with a thousand questions about travel soccer, and all the funny stories we had saved for this occasion.
We also all brought a plate (or two) to share. There were tacos, a charcuterie board, a variety of dips and crackers, a chili dip with tortilla chips, fruit, vegetables, guacamole, and even a homemade birthday cake.
There were so many great foods that lined the table, and even a few that we forgot to set out. One dish included Asian-inspired, pork and quinoa meatballs, served with a side of sriracha mayonnaise. They were delicious! My friend even let me keep the sriracha mayonnaise because she said she wouldn’t use it again.
Fast forward a few days later when I needed to figure out dinner. I spotted the sriracha mayonnaise and thought of those delicious pork and quinoa meatballs. The problem? I didn’t have pork, or flour, or an egg for the binder.
Hmmm…well, I had ground turkey and almond flour…and with a quick Google search, I read that regular mayonnaise could be used as a binder. Bingo!
Spicy little meatballs with a hint of ginger and soy sauce, topped with sesame seeds. For the final few minutes, I placed them in the air fryer and let them crisp around the edges. These would be fantastic on top of jasmine rice or in a hot bowl of ramen…or simply stick toothpicks in them for a perfect appetizer. Enjoy!
- 1 lb Ground Turkey
- 1/4 Cup Blanched Almond Flour
- 2-3 Tbsp Green Onion, Chopped
- 1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1/2 to 1 Tbsp Sriracha Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Ginger Paste
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 1/4 Tsp Pepper
- 1 1/2 – Tbsp Mayonnaise
- Sriracha Mayonnaise, for dipping
- Preheat the oven to 400° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, add all the ingredients and gently fold together with a large spoon or your hands.
- Using a spoon to measure (I used a cereal spoon), lightly mold mixture into balls – just smaller than a golf ball. They’ll feel a little loose, but don’t worry, they’ll bake just fine.
- Place each meatball onto the lined baking sheet. You should be able to get about 20 meatballs on a sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes. The tops should be lightly browned.
- Turn the air fryer to 400° and pre-heat. Spray the basket with olive oil or line with parchment paper.
- Place the meatballs into the air fryer basket and insert the basket into the air fryer for 5 minutes. If you do not have an air fryer, simply leave the meatballs on the baking sheet and broil in the oven for 2-4 minutes.
- Watch closely to make sure they don’t burn. Continue to air fry or broil until desired brownness.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds on top and serve with sriracha mayonnaise on the side.