How to Make The Best Ground Chicken Burgers
Sigh. Some days, that’s how I feel when I think about making meals lately. Sigh. I feel like we make the same foods all the time, week after week, month after month. How many ways can we possibly eat a taco? How many pizzas are too many? Can I even make a meal that doesn’t require ranch or ketchup? And why are there so many meals per day?!! Haha (kinda).
Ok, I know everyone feels my pain. Then, if you have picky eaters, you’re modifying your meals or even making several separate ones to make everyone happy. Suddenly, you’re a short-order cook and everyone expects to have their personalized dish. Yikes! Hamburgers are one of those dishes that we love, but they can be pretty unexciting after a while. Sooooooo…using my handy indoor grill, I gave ground chicken burgers a try.
I was a bit worried that I’d get the wrinkled nose or the fish eye when the little ones in my home saw the burgers looked different. Why are they a lighter color? What’s the sauce? Where’s the ketchup? I was prepared though. Stand strong. Encourage their palates to broaden their tastes. You got this.
You know what? They liked them! I was pleasantly surprised! Yes, the patties were moist and not dried out like chicken can get, the dill pickles in the sauce were the perfect addition, and there WAS a little ketchup in there! Plus, we had french fries so ketchup still kept some real estate on our dinner table. Lol.
We’ve since added chicken burgers to our meal rotation, served with a vegetable, and french fries, sweet potato fries, or a baked potato. I hope you can add it to yours!
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Ketchup, No Sugar Added
- 1 Tsp Yellow Mustard
- 1 Tsp White Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Dill Pickles, Chopped
- 1 Tsp Minced Garlic
- 1 Tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 lb Ground Chicken
- 1 Tbsp Minced Garlic
- 1 Tbsp Chives, Fresh or Dried
- 2 Tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 Tsp Multi-Purpose Umami Seasoning Blend from Trader Joe’s* or Salt
- 1/4 Tsp Black Pepper
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1/4 Cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/4 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 2 Tbsp Mayonnaise
- Swiss Cheese, Sliced (Optional)
- Tomatoes, Onion, Lettuce (Optional)
- Prepare the sauce by adding all of the ingredients into a small bowl. Mix and set aside.
- Add all of the ingredients for the chicken burger into a large bowl. Mix well.
- Separate mixture into four even portions.
- Using a burger-maker or your hands, create round disks and place them on a tray lined with wax paper.
- Heat a grill to 425 degrees and spray with cooking oil.
- Place the patties on the grill and immediately top with a lid.
- Grill 5 minutes on each side. Check the temperature to make sure it’s at least 165 degrees.
- Turn the grill off, place a slice of cheese on each patty, and put the lid back on the grill.
- Once the cheese is melted, place the burger on a toasted hamburger bun.
- Top with your homemade sauce, tomatoes, onion, and lettuce.
*Here is the Multi-Purpose Umami Seasoning Blend that I have from Trader Joe’s. It’s a mild, yet flavorful seasoning that you can use in soups, on meats, or even on fries. If you don’t have it, just use regular salt.