Cauliflower Two Ways – Mashed and Roasted
I have always loved cauliflower.
It’s been a staple in my home for years. Before cauliflower was in such high demand, I was happy eating it steamed with a little butter. I had no idea that cauliflower would become such a huge hit!
As we all know, these days, you can do anything with cauliflower. Pizza crust, yep. Buffalo bites, yum. Raw with ranch, yes, please. Cauliflower “potato” salad, love it. Added into a soup, delicious. Even a cauliflower hummus, wow!
Cauliflower is everywhere
and can be used as a substitute in so many ways, but what are a few simple and basic recipes? Mashed and roasted. That’s it! These recipes are not difficult, and they only require a few ingredients.
The nice thing about these recipes is that you can modify them with different flavors of your choice. Do you like spicy? Just add some crushed red pepper. Do you like cheesy? Top with grated parmesan before serving. Any way you do it, this is a versatile vegetable that can be eaten as a side, or if you’re like me, as a meal.
This is also good for picky eaters like my son
because you can add so much flavor that they don’t even know it’s healthy. Psst….take my word for it, the mashed cauliflower can be made to taste like a loaded potato if you add lots of cheddar cheese and some chopped bacon. Top with a dollop of sour cream and chives and see what you think! 🙂
Start with these basic recipes and add your own flare. Get creative!
- 1 Head of Cauliflower, Whole
- 1 Cup Water
- 1/4 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1 1/2 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Tsp White Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Dried Onion
- 1/2 Tsp Onion Powder
- Salt to Taste
- Chopped Chives, Optional
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese, Optional
- Rinse cauliflower.
- Insert a steamer basket or trivet into the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Place the whole head of cauliflower inside. If too large, just cut in half and fit it in.
- Set the Instant Pot to steam for 15 minutes. Instant release.
- Carefully remove the steamer basket or trivet that is holding the cauliflower. Be careful – it will be hot!
- Remove the inner pot and discard any excess liquid in the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Place the steamed cauliflower back into the pot or a large bowl.
- Using a fork, mash the cauliflower until it’s the desired consistency. For a smoother texture, use an emersion blender.
- Add remaining ingredients, except for the chopped chives.
- Top with chopped chives before serving.
- 1 Head of Cauliflower
- 1 – 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 – 1 1/2 Tbsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Rinse and chop cauliflower. Add to a large bowl or storage bag.
- Add oil, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Mix until seasonings are evenly distributed.
- Spread cauliflower onto a large sheet pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the edges get brown and crisp.
- Remove from the oven and serve hot.