A Close Look at Offset Smoker vs Pellet Smoker: Pros and Cons
Choosing between offset smoker vs pellet smoker is always tricky. You need complete information about both smokers to decide where you should go. Pellet smokers also have some pros and cons as well as offset smokers. Both of them are similar.
Offset smoker vs pellet smoker: Overview
If you did not try both smokers yet, you don’t get the difference between offset smoker vs pellet smoker. They are similar in size, shape, and performance too. The pellet smoker is just the modified form of the offset smoker.
Offset smokers were being used by pitmasters some years ago as traditional smokers. On the contrary, pellet smokers are used by advanced pitmasters nowadays. They also give you a great smokey taste to your food. The difference is that pellet smokers give you ease while smoking. They use electricity to smoke the food. On the other hand, offset smokers work manually.
You can call an offset smoker a barrel, pipe, or side firebox smoker. Whatever you like, you call it. It is the most initial and traditional smoker that was being in the use of old pitmasters. They use pure wood and charcoal as fuel. They are meant for cooking food at a low temperature. You can cook every food on the offset smoker as you can cook meat on it.
They cook the food by smoke. The smoke from the firebox reaches the cooking chamber and emits from the chimney. The cooking chamber is lying beside the firebox. If you are a traditional smokey meat lover, get the best offset smoker for beginners quickly.
Pellet smokers, you can call them pellet grills. They are the modernized and advanced form of technical offset smokers. They are the same in look and size and even in taste. Pellet smokers use wood pellets in their hoppers.
As they use electricity, you don’t need to add the fuel time by time. Just fill the hopper, and the auger will automatically feed them to the firebox. They have an LCD on their top to monitor the inner condition of the food.
Pellet smokers are best for a relaxation cook. You don’t need to sit there and check the smokers repeatedly. They are famous for the ease they give t their users. With pellet smokers, you are just one click far from delicious juicy meat.
Offset Smoker Pros
- Gives you a tender, juicy and smokey meal at the end.
- Have a broader space in the cooking chamber so you can smoke more meat.
- Gives you the benefit of doing grill. You can fit a grill in the cooking chamber or Simply on the firebox.
- You can use your offset smoker for years with little maintenance.
- They are lower in price rather than other smokers.
- Are the best offset smoker for beginners.
Pellet Smoker Pros
- Don’t need to sit beside them and take care of them.
- Temperature set automatically. You don’t need to monitor and get depressed by its rise and fall.
- Have the facility of LCD from which you can check the condition of meat.
- Some pellet smokers have the option of Wi-Fi from which you can connect your phone.
- Are very fuel efficient.
- Not just beginners’ pros use it too.
- An automatic fan keeps the oxygen level updated.
Offset Smoker Cons
- It takes longer to cook the food as they are famous for the low cook.
- It tests your patience for hours.
- They work manually. They need a full-time concentration.
- You have to organize the fuel and set the size of the fire by yourself.
- No facility for the automatic fan. You have to maintain the temperature.
Pellet Smoker Cons
- Can’t use them during the outing with friends and family as they need electricity. You must have an extension for this situation.
- Don’t give you a slice of extra smokey meat.
- Most pellet smokers don’t have the facility of the grill as the temperature can’t go high.
There is no such difference between offset smoker vs pellet smoker, but still a little bit. To differentiate both, you must need a proper guide. You should consider getting the best offset smoker for beginners as you are a beginner in this field. But pellet smokers are also best for beginners. Whether you get a pellet smoker or offset smoker, practice them well and become a BBQ smoker pro.