Mejier Stores Team up with Produce for Kids to support Healthier Eating
Good evening everyone! In honor of our recipe exchange page here on Michigan Home Mommy Works, I would like to share with you a program through Meijer and Produce for Kids. Many parents are concerned about healthy eating in the home especially in schools, how about you? Here is a summary of this fantastic program:
Meijer and Produce for Kids are teaming up to host the second annual Healthy Schools, Healthy Minds campaign. Now through September 29th, local shoppers can contribute to this cause and support your local schools by adding produce to their Meijer shopping lists. During the campaign, participating fresh fruit and vegetable suppliers will make a donation based on consumption of their fresh produce items to DonorsChoose.org, which will support local classroom projects.
Shoppers can be on the lookout for the Produce for Kids display unit, featuring characters from popular Sprout shows, LazyTown™ and Noodle and Doodle, in the produce section of their local Meijer store. The more items shoppers add to their shopping lists, the more local classrooms will benefit!
Meijer will also feature the Ideal Meals™ program from Produce for Kids in the produce department. Ideal Meals cards provide 12 quick, easy, and healthy chef-created/dietitian-approved complete meal solutions for breakfast, lunch, dinner and desserts.
Please find below some NEW delicious and nutritious fall inspired Ideal Meals recipes from Produce for Kids:
Slow Cooker Veggie Lasagna
Preparation Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 5 hours
· 2 Tbsp. olive oil
· 2 cups mushrooms, chopped
· 1 cup green bell pepper, seeded, chopped
· 1 large onion, finely chopped
· 3 cups spinach, loosely packed, chopped
· 1 lb. 2% cottage cheese
· 2 cups (plus ½ cup) shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
· ¼ tsp. salt
· 26 oz. jarred low sodium pasta sauce
· 2 large zucchini, sliced, ¼-inch thick rounds
· 8 oz. no-boil whole wheat lasagna noodles
Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat; add mushrooms, peppers, onions and spinach. Cook 5 minutes, or until water evaporates. Season with salt and pepper.
2. In mixing bowl, mix cottage cheese, 2 cups mozzarella cheese and salt. Divide into 2 portions.
3. Grease slow cooker. Cover bottom with ⅓ of sauce and assemble as follows: single layer noodles, ⅓ of cooked vegetables, single layer zucchini, 1 portion of cottage cheese mixture, single layer of noodles. Repeat layering once in same order. Add layer of remaining sauce, cooked vegetables and zucchini.
4. Sprinkle ½ cup mozzarella cheese on top.
5. Cook on low for 5 hours or until noodles and zucchini are tender.
Slow Cooker Veggie Lasagna: Calories 490, Fat 16.32g, Protein 31.17g, Carbohydrate 50.81g, Fiber 4.64g, Cholesterol 51mg, Sodium 379mg, Calcium 614mg, Vitamin A 2696 IU, Vitamin C 39.07mg, Iron 2.88mg
Join the Produce Pinterest Challenge! It’s simple, sign up here!
Images courtesty of Produce for Kids
Michigan Home Mommy Works received compensation through this program. Any opinions expressed here are my own.