Meatloaf and Au Gratin Potatoes Recipes
Tonight is a meat and potatoes kind of night. An All-American meal of meatloaf and Au Gratin Potatoes. Before you start to say, “Ew meatloaf”, you have to try this recipe. It’s a mix of sweetness from the ketchup and brown sugar to savory of the smoky cumin and homemade cheesy potatoes. I’m not sure what it is about meatloaf, but I always pair it with Au Gratin potatoes, green beans, and biscuits with honey. I think the flavors play well off each other. This is a dinner I like to start earlier in the day (preferably nap-time) since it takes a while to bake.
Mama’s Meatloaf Ingredients
2 lbs Ground Beef
2 Eggs beaten
1/2 Onion, minced
1/2 tsp Garlic Salt
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
1 1/2 tsp Cumin
2 Tbs Brown Sugar
2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 cup Bread Crumbs
1/2 bottle of Ketchup (small bottle)
1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. Shape into a loaf on a foiled 9 x 13 pan.
3. Poke holes in the top of the meatloaf and pour a layer of Ketchup over the top.
4. Bake at 375 for 15 minutes. Reduce oven to 350 and bake for 1 hour longer.
Au Gratin Potatoes Ingredients:
3 Tbs Butter
3 Tbs Flour
1 1/2 tsp Salt
1/8 tsp Pepper
1/8 tsp Smoky Paprika (if you have it)
2 Cups Milk
1 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
5 cups thinly sliced peeled Potatoes (6 medium Potatoes or for serving 3-4 people use 3 potatoes)
1/2 Cup Chopped Onion
1. Preheat oven to 350. In a large saucepan melt butter over low heat.
2. Stir in flour, salt, and pepper until smooth. Add a pinch of Smoky Paprika.
3. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
4. Remove from heat; stir in cheese until melted.
5. Add potatoes and onion and stir well.
6. Transfer to a greased 2 quart baking dish.
7. Cover and bake at 350 for 1 hour. Uncover and bake for 30-40 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender.
Meat Loaf Image courtesy of Wikimedia Commons
Au Gratin Potatoes courtesy of KellyK